Events and Programs
Washington Revels stages celebrations filled with traditional music, dance, stories and drama from around the world, revolving around the cycle of the seasons and the joys of community
connections. Revels is for anyone who wants to share common ground through old and new traditions—connecting people across time and cultures. Revels is not something that you just watch—it is an experience.
View Calendar of Events | Performing Ensembles | Celebrating Heritage | Awards and Recognition
Events for the Whole Family
Washington Revels offers events throughout the year providing unique opportunities to experience, interact, and participate in singing, dancing, and story-telling, across a wide range of cultures and backgrounds. There are many ways to get involved: attend our family-friendly events, educational workshops, or volunteer. Staged or informal, large or small, Washington Revels celebrations involve adults and children of all ages. Audience participation is a hallmark–whether singing, dancing or becoming part of the drama, you are always an integral part of the production. We offer a wide variety of events throughout the year, including:
- The Christmas Revels – Celebrate the winter solstice and start your holidays with this fully staged performance at Lisner Auditorium in Washington, DC.
- Pub Sings – Rousing sing-alongs, with song books and leaders provided, held twice a year at a local pub.
- May Revels – Annual celebration of spring in the English country tradition, complete with a Maypole dance.
- Festival Day – Create a show in just one day–choose from singing, country dance, mumming, or create props and crafts ... let your creativity flow!
- SunFest – Celebrate the summer solstice at this multi-cultural street festival in downtown Silver Spring, Maryland. Show off your best bit – a song, a dance, a joke, a trick – by performing on the community stage.
- Community Sing – Summertime is hummm-er time! Bring your lawn lawn chair, picnic supper, and enthusiasm to sing ... songbooks and leaders provided.
- Community Parades – Experience Independence and Labor Day by marching with Washington Revels in these community parades. Join our merry band–it’s much more fun than standing at the curbside.
- Harvest Dance – Celebrate the bounty of autumn with folk dancing to live music. All dances are taught; come solo or bring your partner and children to this family-friendly event.
- Opportunities for Children – Choruses, workshops and more for children and their families
Programs in the Community
Washington Revels combines traditional elements to create something entirely new, blending professionals and non-professionals, children and adults, and a range of cultural traditions in a way that transforms the spirit as much as it entertains.
a multigenerational and diverse performing arts community that celebrates community traditions – through music, dance, and drama – for people of all ages and backgrounds, connecting people across generations and cultures. What differentiates Revels most from other performing arts groups is its sense of community, its interactive approach, and an underlying objective to unite people in unique ways through the performing arts. Washington Revels presents a rich array of programs throughout the year, involving hundreds of performers and volunteers:
Awards and Recognition
Washington Revels is proud to have our quality performances and community engagement recognized by prominent organizations. We gratefully acknowledge the recognition and support we have received from the following prominent organizations:
Selected by the 2010-11 Catalogue for Philanthropy as “one of Greater Washington’s best small charities.”
Wammie Award nominations from the Washington Area Music Association
2009 - Nomination: Musical Theater Artist
- 2010 - Nominations: Musical Theater Artist and Executive of the Year
2010-2011 grant support from:
Back to top